Saturday, November 04, 2006

The good, the bad, and the hungry

Things around here are all nuts. I'm going to be blunt...my wonderful 93 year old grandmother died and we are all in shocked. It doesn't seem real to me in any sort of way. I know I wasn't the only one who thought she would make it to 100 easily. She lived in an apartment, cooked all her own meals, knitted hats for the homeless, made toilet paper "hats" for all the new people who moved into her building. She arranged for the local elementary school to send in kindergarteners and first graders to entertain the elderly in her apartment complex. She was an awesome woman.

I guess the fact that she passed is the bad, the fact that she lived independently until her last moment is the good. the hungry I will make a new post, as I don't want to mix such a serious subject with a silly one....

2 comments:

Martalu said...

Oh my god, I am so sorry. I've experienced more death in the past year than in my whole life combined, and I can truly say that I know how you feel and that my thoughts are with you. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Aw, I"m so sorry>>> I unexpectedly lost my grandmother this year too, and while she was not as independent as yours, she was remarkably healthy so it was definitely quite shocking.

But the way i look at it is that the shock might be difficult for those of us who remain alive, but for those who passed, it just means that she lived a full life where she wasn't even preparing herself for death yet because life was still so great!

Hugs,
jessica