Sunday, July 23, 2006

Why is it so rank?

My husband and I live on the second floor of a two family home. We live above our landlord who is a very sweet, old fashioned, directly from Italy, Italian gentleman. We've lived here for more than 2 years. We, including my nervous dog, love our landlord and his extended family. The only problem that we have with this apartment is that the entry way sometimes smells funny. Sometimes it smells like old, funky farts. Other times like old baby formula. On occasion it has had an odd garlicky smell. We could never figure it out.

Until now. Mystery solved. Now that it's summer vacation, I have Mondays and Fridays off. I was leaving the apartment last week to find my landlord prone on the stairs. I panicked. 'Are you okay?" I stammered. I was heading back up the stairs so I could call 911.

"Yes!" was the reply, "I'm doing my morning exercises. I always exercise in the hall. I like to do push-ups on the stairs. Sometimes, I walk up and down the stairs. Gives me a good sweat."

Blech! Good God, no wonder it smells out there so often. Stunning.

No comments: