Saturday, August 01, 2009

Week Five challenge!

Hey all-

I'm still hanging in there with Amy's 15 week challenge. It's fin to have a little something to focus on for myself during those few odd fleeting moments I have to myself during the day.

Anywho...this week's main challenge was to create a dish using a whole grain. I immediately thought "Quinoa!" which is a grain that goes all the way back to the Incas. How cool is that? I made Quinoa, Black Bean, and Mango salad.

1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water- simmer until all the water is gone (or follow the direction on your quinoa package!)

1 can black beans, drained

2 mango, diced

3 chopped green onions (or 1/4th-1/2 red onion)

1 diced pepper (color of your choice)

juice of 1 lime

salt to taste.

This dish is incredibly easy to make, after the quinoa is done you just combine all the ingredients. I love this dish, it's easy, it's loved by my vegetarian and meat eating friends alike, and it's fairly balanced as quinoa has a lot of protein!

No comments: