Friday, July 03, 2009

Challenge Week One- Recipe Make-Over

There is nothing I like better than spicy food. I love it, love it, love it! Amy challenged us to revamp a recipe to make it healthier and of course I want to do something yummy and spicy...chili! I've taken out a lot of fat by using ground turkey instead of beef, added extra vitamins and fiber by adding carrot. And I've added extra dimension to the flavor of the chili by adding cocoa powder.

Turkey Chili

1 Tbsp EV Olive Oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 clove garlic- minced (I use 2 or 3 because I looooove garlic)
1 medium red onion
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of corn
1 medium to large carrot- shredded
1 jar salsa
1Tbsp chili powder
1Tbsp Cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
1 Tbsp cocoa powder

In a large non-stick skillet heat up the extra virgin olive oil using medium heat. Once heated, add garlic and onion to the pan. Once the onion starts to become translucent, add the turkey. Let the turkey brown slowly, as it browns sprinkle the chili , cumin, and cayenne powders over it. Once the turkey is cooked through add the cans of corn and kidney beans, liquid and all. Add the shredded carrot. Let the pan simmer for about 5-10 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add the jar of salsa. Allow the pan to simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Stir in the cocoa powder. Allow to simmer until it has thickened to your liking. Serve over brown rice or whole wheat pasta. For an extra kick sprinkle with fresh cilantro and 2% shredded cheese.

I will be making this tomorrow and I cannot wait!

No comments: